Monday, February 11, 2019

Typography

Pre-Production

     The first steps to this project were finding quotes that were significant to me. I found ten quotes, and then picked four out of the ten quotes to use for my project. All of my quotes were French, so I decided to do this project with the French and English versions of the quotes. The second step was picking fonts. I picked a total of six fonts, however, I did not use one of the fonts in my project. 

Production
      The third step in this project was working in Illustrator. I learned how to use layers, type tool, gradient tool, the tool where I can type around a shape (I forget what it's called), shape tool, and the direct selection tool.

     I arranged my project by making four artboards, one for each of the quotes I picked in Pre-production. I made a different shape for each quote so I could use a reference for what I want the quote to look like. On the first artboard, it was a heart, the second was an eye, third was a tv, and the fourth one was a peace sign. I had ideas for what text to use for the different quotes.

     Originally, our quotes had to be in black and white before we started using color.  All of my quotes had a white background, but I changed two of them to have a black background. This made the two quotes more interesting and stand out from the other two.

     When it was time to move on to color,  I used blue and yellow for my first quote, green and black for my second, different shades of grey for my third one, and two different gradients for my last one. After I finished my first round of adding color, I asked my teacher for any critiques, and she did. I fixed up what she critiqued, and made sure everything looked better with these new changes.

     On my first quote, I added more of the heart shape I made, scaled it down a bit, and changed the color to a brighter blue. I did this process again. In total, I had three heart shapes on my first quote. I also copied the text on the heart and changed the copied text color to a dark gold color, and put the original text over it. Around the heart is the quote in French and in English. I also added a drop shadow to the text surrounding the heart to make it stand out from the page a bit.

     For my second quote, I added a darker green circle to the iris of the eye and added a little white shine. I also fixed the text around the iris.

     Moving on to my third project, I added some texture to the grey squares that made up the pixels on the tv to make it seem more like white noise. I also used the bulge option to make the square of pixels a bit round so it doesn't look flat I later went back and changed the text color to red, yellow, green and blue.

     Lastly, my fourth quote has a purple, blue and green gradient as the background. The text has a red, yellow, green, and light blue gradient. I also bloated the text a bit to add some more direction. For textures, I gave the text a mosaic texture to make it stand out even more.

Final Product


 This is my first one, and I think I did okay. It's cute and simple, but if I were to do this one again, I'd probably pick a different shape. I think the critiques I got on this one improved this one fro being eh to pretty good.


 My second one is very interesting in style. I picked shapes depending on what the quote talked about. The English is very hard to read compared to the French, but the English portion says, "It is with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye"



I chose to do a tv shape for this quote due to how political some tv shows or movies can get. As kids, everything is new and exciting. Eventually, kids grow up and realize that things aren't as mystical as they seem to be. As kids, we watch tv shows full of adventure, and learning new lessons about manners or being kind to others. Eventually, kids grow up to be adults. As adults, there is less emphasis on cartoons, tv shows and sometimes movies, and more emphasis on what is going on in the real world. I used tv as an example to explain this quote. Another reason why I chose a tv for the shape was because when I first saw this quote, the first thing that popped in my head was tv.  I really like how this one turned out.


My fourth and final quote. "Doing is better than saying". I chose a peace sign for this because this quote reminds me of protests throughout the years. Protesters do protests for multiple reasons, but their actions can greatly affect others, whether it's positive or negative. If protesters were to complain instead of doing something, nothing would be changed, dramatically at least. I also chose Gradients for this project just to change things up a bit. I feel like this one is pretty good. The peace sign shape is evident, and the colors work well together. 





No comments:

Post a Comment